June 01 2020 18:06:04


Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

<< June 2020 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

No events.

Birthdays Birthday(s):

You must login to post a message.

10/03/2020 23:22
Week 17 update complete clapping

23/02/2020 16:34
Unlucky Graham Dunbar and his team at Pettycur Bay this weekend. Beaten in the final by Glasgow 'A' Great effort by all.

12/02/2020 00:03
Week 15 update, almost complete...

22/01/2020 00:34
Week 14 update complete clapping

31/05/2019 23:51
Roll of Honour lists updated thumbup

30/04/2019 23:51
Week 25 update complete thumbup

23/04/2019 23:40
Week 24 update almost done tumble

16/04/2019 23:22
Week 23 update complete. clapping

27/03/2019 00:33
Yasssss! Shotz4 div2 cup champs

19/03/2019 23:33
Week 20 update done thumbup

Super 15's 2007/08

(From left to right)
Top Row - Davie Hughes, Steve Webster, Dale Leith.
Second Top - Stuart Hunter, Gordon Smith (Captain), Steve Hamilton.
Middle Row - Graham Dunbar, Colin Brown, Steve Hallam, Steve Hardwick.
Second Bottom – Dave McFarlane, Mark Gray, Steve Reid.
Bottom – Martin Cherry, Shane Twaddle, Walter Preston.

Super 15’s 2007 – Report

The Arbroath Team reached the Last 16 of this event before going out to Monklands ‘B’ by 8 frames to 4. After a slow start, where they lost the first four frames, the team rallied and started to get some frames on the board but it was a case of too little, too late.

To reach the last 16, the team had to negotiate an 8-team group containing some strong teams in Monklands ‘A’ (Holders), Uddingston, Dunfermline and Central Ayrshire with only the top 4 teams qualifying for the knockout stages. Each match was best of 15 singles, race to 8, although being a group format frames were vital as they would be used to separate teams tied on points.

In the first match at 10pm on Friday against Dunfermline, Arbroath lost the first 2 frames to 8-ball finishes, which demonstrated the quality they were up against. However they rallied well to level and they pull away to score an excellent 9-6 win, with Stuart Hunter potting the important 8th black.

The final match on Friday was against Edinburgh Pool League and, despite a slow start again, the team reeled off a succession of frames without reply to run away with the match 11-4. Stuart Hunter again took the team over the line potting the winning black just before 1:30am!

With two wins under their belt, the team got a well-deserved lie-in for Saturday and were back in action versus the Scottish Ladies team. However, this match proved to be very close with Arbroath struggling for parity for long periods. Eventually they squeezed over the line with Walter Preston nailing the 8th black to make it 3 out of 3 wins.

Having played the less-fancied teams in the group and got valuable points in the bag, Arbroath then faced pre-tournament favourites and current holders, Monklands ‘A’ who wasted no time in exploiting Arbroath errors as well as making their own finishes to race to a 5-0 lead before Steve Hallam put Arbroath’s first frame on the board. After this a comeback of sorts was made but Arbroath left themselves too much to do. However with the score at 8-5, Captain Gordon Smith and Watty Preston won two important frames to close the match out at 8-7 and keep the frames differential up.

Next up was Uddingston, who had knocked Arbroath out of this year’s Super 11’s in February. This was a very tight see-saw match, which went all they way to the deciding frame. Unfortunately it was not to be and after a protracted safety battle, the Uddingston player potted the winning black.

Last game of the day on Saturday was against East Kilbride. Although a very winnable game, a string of errors and missed opportunities left the team playing catch-up again. Unfortunately, there was no heroic recovery this time and the team went down to a heavy 10-5 defeat.

On the Sunday morning the final group game was played against group leaders Central Ayrshire ‘A’. A win would make qualification assured and a defeat would mean depending on results and frame totals going Arbroath’s way.

Again a string of missed opportunities were spurned and the Ayrshire team took full advantage to race away. Again Arbroath try to rally but the margin of defeat ended 10-5. However, the only two teams who could catch Arbroath both lost allowing Arbroath to secure the 4th and final qualifying place from the group.

The Arbroath team performed well in patches and should take some credit and encouragement from this event. It is the first time Arbroath have entered a team for many years and a number of players were making their debuts at this level. For them it was have been a worthwhile experience pitting themselves against the best team players in Scotland.

There were some highs and lows from the weekend. On the highs side, the team were well captained from the front again by the tireless Gordon Smith and some of the senior players showed the way winning a high percentage of their matches, statistics that any team captain would be happy with. Top players were Colin Brown and Steve Hallam with 7 wins out of 8 played. In Colin’s case this included five 8-ball finishes.

On the low side, the team struggled to get that crucial flying start and this left them playing catch-up in the majority of their matches. A lot of players also struggled with the “lag every frame” rule, which is not commonplace in the ADPL, and led to the loss of a high percentage of these thus ceding the advantage of the break to the opponents.

Overall the team’s results reflected the roller-coaster nature of the performances i.e., a great start which became the rule of diminishing returns from each subsequent match. After two solid wins came a sticky win over the Scottish Ladies. This was followed by the two close defeats and then the last two heavy group defeats. The joy of qualification to the Last 16 was swiftly evaporated by manner of the loss to a very beatable Monklands ‘B’ outfit.

Player stats from this event were: